Saturday, September 5, 2009

Focus and The Joy diet..

The other day when I was surfing the internet I read this by Melly Hocking and it came at a time when I was already thinking about what I was going to do to gain some focus.Right now I am involved in alot of online art classes and I haven't been giving them the focus they need because sometimes there is so much noise around me . I mean sometimes we are on information overload. As a person I am like that anyway. I am always several steps ahead of myself. I surround myself so much sometimes I can't concentrate.I at most times will have books beside me, my twitter open, checking myspace, reading blogs, blogging myself, downloading art classes, chatting on yahoo,texting on my cell.. ok , you get the point and I love it but I was thinking lately I have been spending more time collecting thoughts and dreams then the actual process of learning and living. As Suzi Blu told me " less jabbering more sketching" lol.. You gotta love her!! So, after reading Melly's post,I asked myself whats important to you in this moment and the answer was I am excited about the classes I am taking and I don't just wanna surround myself with wonderful supplies and classes and dreams .I wanna make art and see how I feel about it and what I can do and guess what? That takes practice and focus especially when it involves learning several things at once. So I will need to eliminate for now some of the things that aren't as important to me until I give myself a chance to grow with this new venture. I wanna see where it leads. I mean if I was sitting in a college class trying to learn ,i'm sure my professor wouldn't want me twittering,blogging, texting, and trying to learn. So I am going to give myself to this, in this moment.I am going to spend less time dreaming and more time living the dream .
No, i am not disappearing , just quieting the noise becoming more involved in the process of learning. I have decided to follow along on a book blogging journey starting Sept 18 ,We will be working our way through "The Joy Diet", discussing and blogging about the journey.If you wish to read along go here .Other than that ,I plan to "make art".Sometimes ,it is OK to step away from people or things in order to put your focus where it needs to be. So I am here. I will be checking email and my blog , but as Suzi says, I will be spending less time jabbering and more time sketching and maybe once I get some focus there i will have something great to share:)
I leave you with this quote , which describes where I am right now.

I want you to get excited about who you are, what you are, what you have, and what can still be for you. I want to inspire you to see that you can go far beyond where you are right now.
--Warren G. Bennis

No comments:

Post a Comment