Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lets Talk about Workshops...

I love online art workshops.They are an amazing learning tool . I first decided I wanted to learn when I was browsing blogs and saw some amazing mixed media art. I was so inspired I decided that I really wanted to try to learn to draw and paint. I remember seeing links for workshops on sites. I was a little overwhelmed. I wasn't sure which ones I should choose first. I really knew nothing about the whole process . The first class I decided to take was Mixed Media With The Girls with the lovely Wyanne. It was a class with 26 videos and I remember feeling a little overwhelmed . I downloaded them all and I got distracted for a while and didn't end up watching them all but recently I have went back and watched her classes and they are amazing. Since that first class I have taken lots of online workshops and I still am . I sometimes took so many at a time that Suzi blu said to me "Slow down Momma, One thing at a time" .I think I was just so excited I wanted to do it all .So, I want to talk to you about this in case you yourself are thinking about a workshop.

Most workshops are hosted on a Ning,which is an online platform for social networks.You usually register and pay for the workshop and then the site owner sends you an email invite into a virtual classroom (forum). Once inside the classroom you then have access to videos and or Pdf's.

There is a supply list and you can communicate with your fellow classmates and most even have ways for you to share your artwork.

Don't be afraid to take one. They really are great learning tools and I have found them very supportive environments for learning. They vary in prices but I have never felt that they weren't worth the money . I have always taken away an invaluable lesson. We all have different ways we learn and each teacher teaches in their style. Some may be better than others for you.

Here is places I have taken workshops with a little review .I hope you find it helpful.



1.Mixed Media with the girls- Wyanne Cost $68.00 . I loved Wyanne's teaching style.I was able to see her creative process and how she worked through mistakes in her artwork.This class has 26 videos and Wyanne constantly reassured and reminded you to loosen up. I also love that the videos were downloadable so that I can rewatch and learn.There is also a private blog in which to share with others.

2. Suzi Blu - Goddess and the poet Cost $55.00 If you know suzi ,she is a bit eccentric and has a unique teaching style . I had no drawing experience at all when I took this class but I did enjoy it . I still need to work my way through all of it. Suzi was very responsive as a teacher. Answered emails quickly .There is a forum for her students to interact but honestly I didn't interact much . The videos are downloadable and she provides nice color PDF's.

Les petite dolls- Cost $55.00. This class is geared towards beginners . Taught in true suzi blu style. I learned alot about colored pencils in both her classes. Great interaction for students, downloadable videos and pdf's .Lots of great information.

I also took An angel class, a petit marie class .

3.Monica Zuniga - When I took my first class with her she was running a special and you got three workshops for a special price. I cannot say enough about her Pencil Drawing class cost $60 dollars. I learned so much from this class. I really like Monica as a person and a teacher. She is just wonderful . I have taken many many classes with her and I will continue too . Downloadable videos and pdf's. You cannot go wrong with any of her classes.

4. Pam Carriker- Pursuing Portraits-Cost $70.00 I loved this class and I learned alot about shading . Only thing I did not like was the Video's are not downloadable.She does provide pdf's and you can return to watch the videos. I really wish the videos were downloadable.

I also took shades of grey and Visual Journalism . I loved her style.

5.Misty Mawn _ she just had a portrait class. Cost $100.00 .Let me just say if you get a chance to take a class with her.Take it. It was worth every penny. I liked her very much and she stretched us as students.Taught me so much about different mediums and was so personal when I emailed her questions. I will definitely take a class with her again if given a chance. she also had a private group for us on facebook , flickr and she had great music and links:)

6 Tamara Laporte -Fabulous faces class cost $ 45.00 GPB (around 68.00 US $) I am in week 5 of this class and I love it. Tam is supportive and a wonderful teacher.She provides beautiful pdf's, downloadable videos. She is very responsive to her students questions and I love that she even records video responses so we can actually see the answers.

I have also taken classes with Jane Desrosier but I can't comment yet because I still have yet to watch them . I do love her art though and I hope in the future to see more from her

so where to next??

I have signed up for a watercolor class with Michelle Brown and i am very excited to explore watercolor with her.

So my advice is if you are thinking of taking a class do it!!! If you know of any workshops that I didn't mention let me know maybe I would be interested. I really love faces and am trying to explore all I can right now.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jackie,

    Good Morning! I am getting ready for another hectic week but wanted to take this opportunity to visit you before I get engulfed in the frenzy.

    Thank you for your visits and your comments.

    Renee, I feel very sad and lost without her sometimes. There is a big gaping hole in blogland.

    Workshops, I have never been to one. To me it is class and class makes me sleepy. Sorry, it's just me. I feel antsy just being confined even if it is at home. I have to be outside to learn well. When I was in elelmntary school we had our classes outside in the garden sometimes or in the grass lawns. Come to think of it, my that was a really cool school and it was in the 60's.

    I am rambling, see...??? I always get in troble. The teachers said I was talkative and never paid attention.

    Have a lovely day Jackie. Take care of yourself.

    Tsup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you liked my class. Thank you for all your kind words and for writing about your experiences in all the workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, I love online workshops so much too. Sometimes when I talk to the other "students"--we laugh, because we say that we're addicted, but they are WELL worth it. I cannot believe how much I've learned--I can't believe that some of this art comes out of me, and these classes gave me the push to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love workshops :) i'm taking kimberly wilson's tranquilista lifestyle e-course starting at the end of this month! i'm so excited! hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such super good info. Thanks so much
    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very helpful sweetie... I am soooo not there yet. As a teacher I mean. I will take away some helpful hints though for future reference! Your a peach.... as always!
    xo
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete