Friday, September 25, 2009

The Art of "Nothing...

Who knew that doing "nothing " could be so hard! My mind didn't like doing nothing one bit . I sat in silence and my body hated being still. I used this little kneaded eraser( kinda like putty) to keep my hands busy while I sat. I pretended to be in the only seat in the room and I watched my thoughts come in and I acknowledged them as visitors. Oh , the endless chatter and nagging.Has it been 15 minutes yet? Did you hear that bird? Shouldnt you be tweeting and on and on .. So , I'm sorry I dont have any wonderful news to report because there is "nothing" . I plan to keep practicing because it seemed I kept hearing these words " BE STILL". So on to truth !!
here is a poem I found on being still.
Thou art? -- I am? -- Why argue? -- Being is.Keep still and be. Death will not still the mind.Nor argument, nor hopes of after-death.This world the battle-ground, yourself the foeYourself must master. Eager the mind to seek.Yet oft astray, causing its own distressThen crying for relief, as though some GodBarred from it jealously the Bliss it soughtBut would not face.

Till in the end,All battles fought, all earthly loves abjured,Dawn in the East, there is no other wayBut to be still. In stillness then to findThe giants all were windmills, all the strifeSelf-made, unreal; even he that stroveA fancied being, as when that good knightWoke from delirium and with a loud cryRendered his soul to God.

Mind, then, or soul?Break free from subtle words. Only be still,Lay down the mind, submit, and Being thenIs Bliss, Bliss Consciousness: and That you are.
-Arthur Osborne

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful poem. Very thought-provoking post, as usual! You have me wanting to dig out my poetry books...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie!,

    It will get easier! I remember a year ago when I started trying to be still. It was VERY VERY hard. Sometimes I couldn't sit for more than 5 minutes. Sometimes my whole body would start shaking and I would just have to give up for that day and try again the next. But I kept trying. Because I wanted so very much the peace and healing I KNEW would come with learning to be still. So it is very much worth the time and energy.
    Keep going girl! You'll master it!
    Your fellow WV!
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete